51001 NIRX (EL leased) Repaint C-R 5-72, PCF 50' RBL Plt B 10-0 Offset Door, DF-B loaders
In 1959 Pacific Car & Foundry (PC&F) worked with Southern Pacific to design and develop a new series of cars, Insulated Boxcars or RBLs. They started with centered 9-foot doored cars in a Plate B clearance for the canned and food stuffs trade that was needed on a majority of SP and it's subsidiary SSW's service areas. As the design developed over 3 years, in late 1962 a 10-foot offset doored design was designed. Which is the subject of this model.
The entire upper body of the boxcar was riveted together from the bottom sill up, in the 6+5 R pattern. Whereas the underframe was fully welded. These were insulated, had proven 20-inch cushioned underframes, usually Hydra-Cushion cushioning devices. Many types and configurations and combinations of loaders were used as per customer specifications, but these specifically had Moveable Bulkheads, or DF-B loaders.
EL leased cars were assigned to a National Pool for General Foods. Leased from North American Car Company, reporting marks NIRX.
Design features faithfully rendered in the assembled car
- Overhanging Stanray roof or Pullman-Standard roof with CORRECT Roofwalk and crossover platform types for each roadname
- Perfect to prototype PCF versions of Stanray R3-4 riveted ends, with separate roofwalk end bracket
- Usual lettering differences per car number apply where they occur
- NEW car sides PCFsignature rivetted, with PCF style ladders, with specific prototype door stops, door gussets and sill design
- Accurate Moloco's cushioned draft gear coupler boxes
- Specific cushioning devices and associated underframe layout and details dependent on roadname, including another first for moloco, Delivery as well as Rebuild style underframes
- NEW MOLOCO 70t Roller Bearing trucks, Ride-Control, Barber or National style trucks matching protoype applications
- Rubber airhoses the first in the industry by Moloco