RES58850 SSW Delivery 1964, PCF 50' Plt B 16-0 Double Plug-doors, DF-B, B-70-22 class
PLEASE NOTE: This is a RESERVATION product ONLY. Please do not add current in stock items to your RESERVATION product order, any additional cars will not be held as part of this reservation. We are expecting a delivery window some time in 2024 and the general price will be in line with current RTR prices. We'll keep you up to date with a more specific dates later on. When the product becomes available to purchase we will send out invoices for your payments in the order we received them. So, the earlier you place your reservation the earlier you will be notified. We are trying to be better at producing the correct quantities of cars that our customers want.
In 1959 Pacific Car & Foundry (PC&F) worked with Southern Pacific to design and develop a new series of cars, Insulated Boxcars or RBL. They started with centered 9-foot doored cars in a Plate B clearance for the canned and food stuffs trade that was needed on a majority of SP and it's subsidiary SSWs service areas. As the design developed over 5 years, in late 1964 a double plug doored design was built to cover a 16-0 opening. Which is the subject of this model.
The entire upper body of the boxcar was riveted together from the bottom sill up. Whereas the underframe was fully welded. These were insulated, had proven 20-inch cushioned underframes, usually Hydra-Cushion cushioning devices. Many types and configurations and combinations of loaders were used as per customer specifications.
Design features faithfully rendered in the assembled car
- Overhanging Stanray roof
- Roofwalk and crossover platform APEX or US Gypsum
- Perfect to prototype PCF versions of Stanray R3-4 riveted ends, with separate roofwalk end bracket
- NEW car sides PCF signature rivetted, with PCF style ladders, with specific prototype door stops, door gussets and sill design
- Accurate Moloco cushioned draft gear coupler boxes, with industry first side key detail.
- Specific cushioning devices and associated underframe layout and details dependent on roadname, including another first for moloco, Delivery as well as Rebuild style underframes
- MOLOCO 70t Roller Bearing trucks, appropriate to prototype
- Rubber airhoses the first in the industry by Moloco