RES60017 BN (ex-SLSF) BN 12-83, ACF 50' Ext. Post 1973-74 Waffle, 8+8 Plug doors
PLEASE NOTE: This is a RESERVATION product ONLY. Please do not add current in stock items to your RESERVATION product order, any additional cars will not be held as part of this reservation. We are expecting a delivery window some time in late 2021 and the general price will be in line with current RTR prices. When the product becomes available to purchase we will send out invoices for your payments in the order we received them. So, the earlier you place your reservation the earlier you will be notified. We are trying to be better at producing the correct quantities of cars that our customers want. No more missing out or chasing up with dealers worldwide.
The RESERVATIONS close on the 20th of March 2021. Reservations received by the deadline will guarantee the models ordered but also help us to determine accurate quantities per item to our factory. You can also place your reservations with any of our current dealers.
ACF Industries (ACF) started producing this general type of 70t Hi-Cube exterior post designed car in 1971, the design developed further in 1973-74 which is the prototype of this car. Specifically this version with uneven sized waffles to house Lading Band Anchors. We believe this car design was tailored to one customer Weyerhaeuser for paperboard loading at several plant locations in their nationwide network (including Canada). Paperboard is the raw material used in the making of carboard boxes. The Hi-Cube height was important to accommodate various sizes of paper rolls, with either one-high, two-high or three-high depending on internal or external customer requests. The Plate clearance for these cars pre-dates the Plate F introduction so they were marked with Exceeds Plate C. Even with it's height these cars travelled throughout the US and Canada and usually ganged together into small blocks of cars. So, it was common to see all railroad schemes in one string together.
The pooled railroads with this general car design were with waffles; BN(ex-SLSF), BNSF, C&EI, MP, MRL, SLSF and TO&E. Without waffles; ATSF,BN and BNSF (100t versions). This design lasted a long time and there are reports they are still running around to this day, although with heavy modifications.
- Differing lettering placements for individual car numbers for repainted cars
- Car number specific handbrakes, Ajax, Ellcon-National, Equipco, Klasing or Universal
- ACF draft gear designed tailored to each prototype
- Multiple versions of door stops, waffles and non-waffles
- Durable rubber air hoses and metal corner stirrups
- 70t trucks with metal wheels and axles, type matched to prototype
- Highly detailed Stanray ends uniquely used to this Hi-Cube
- Researched accurate lettering, from the smallest stencils to the nuisances of repainted cars
- Kadee ”Scale” Whisker couplers