DG-0416 RIVET NON-CUSHIONED DRAFT GEAR
This kit is ONLY available DIRECT.
All car types that require cushioning of less than 5" would use a FRICTION or RUBBER draft gear like this welded version. Most modelers would consider them as "Non-cushioned". Nearly all non-cushioned freight cars or cabooses used some type of buffer in-built between the coupler and car frame captured within the draft gear. In 1953 the AAR started to officially adopted the M-901 series of specifications for these types of draft gears. The draft gears were of three (3) main types utilizing rubbers or all-steel or springs. We have included a long housing to accommodate many length variations from striker plate to bolster. However, this length can be cut down easily as needed. Buy a pair and see how more realistic this closer to scale width draft gear with draft key detail makes to a covered hopper, tank car, boxcar, gondola or flat car. NEVER BEFORE MOULDED DRAFT KEY DETAIL!!!
Typical FRICTION-RUBBER Draft Gear manufacturers and a list of most of their products
- Cardwell Westinghouse
- Mark 50, R500, H-60, Mark 80, Mark H-100
- A-22-XL, RF-444, CR-6-2, CR-3, RF-4-29, RF-361, A-69-XB
- National Casting
- MF-400A, NC-440, NC-660, MF-491-A, M-17-A, MP-252, NC-550
- Waugh Dresser
- WM-6-DP, Type 650, 735, 700, 420A, 451, 730E
- Draft housing (2) - "coupler box" same width as Kadee #78 box
- Coupler Plates (2) - "coupler covers"
- Set of M2 screws (4) use 1/16" tap drill for car body mounting